In Camden County, there is no team more progressive than ours on the issues that matter most to your families.
We take great pride in backing the following agenda:
● Holding Big Pharma Accountable: We were the first county in the state to file a major lawsuit against the pharmaceutical industry, targeting opioid manufacturers, distributors, marketers, and retailers who have allowed this epidemic to flourish at the expense of countless lives. We also offer medical treatment for county inmates, half of whom suffer from addiction, and provide prisoner re-entry services to get them back on their feet with education, training, and job assistance.
● Standing up to Trump: We publicly opposed Trump every step of the way -- from the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accord and the Trump Administration immigration policy of separating families at the border to urging President Trump and Congress to finalize a solution for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and passing meaningful legislation to create a path towards citizenship for
Dreamers. We also affirmed the County’s support for immigrants and refugees by encouraging dialogue and programs to foster inclusion, equality, and cultural development and also condemned hate speech.
● Fighting for Better Wages: We instituted a $15 minimum wage in county government before the state passed it into law.
● Taking on the NRA: We opposed the “Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act” which would have required all states to recognize concealed carry weapons permits granted by other states.
● Block by Block Approach to Public Safety: We created a Camden County community policing program that President Barack Obama heralded as a model for the nation. President Obama even came to Camden to highlight these efforts. Putting more officers on foot interacting directly with neighbors has resulted in the lowest crime rate in Camden City in 50 years.
● Opposing the Influence of Dark Money: We opposed the U.S. Supreme Court campaign finance decision on Citizens United.
● Keeping Student Lenders in Check: We supported legislation which would allow county agencies to refinance student loan debt at better rates than the banks -- to ease the burden placed on families just trying to get ahead.
● Helping Pets and Vets: We expanded the Camden County Animal Shelter to include a surgical center and a more aggressive pet adoption program. We also created the Camden County “Pets 4 Vets” program, where Camden County Jail inmates would train Camden County Animal Shelter dogs to aide Camden County veterans in need of a service dog.
● A Long Record of Diversity: Our party nominated the first Latina and the first Asian-American to serve on the Camden County Freeholder Board.
Democrats in Camden County also presided over the first female majority in county government in the state. Visit us on Facebook for regular updates at facebook.com/ccdems. If you would like to volunteer
or receive a Vote by Mail Forever application, please call our headquarters at (856) 424-5757.
Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to represent your interests at the county level. We would appreciate your consideration of our candidacies on Democratic Primary Election Day, June 4, 2019.
The Column 1 Progressive Democrats